Alcohol Poisoning Disturbing Facts
Every year, approximately fifty thousand people are diagnosed with alcohol poisoning in the United States. Poisoning occurs when a person's blood alcohol content reaches a high level, and it causes the central nervous system to shut down. Some people who suffer poisoning die as a result of asphyxiation by vomit.
There are many factors that contribute to a person's blood alcohol level, including how quickly your body metabolizes the alcohol, how strong the drink is, how quickly it's consumed, how much (or little) food is in the person's stomach, and how much alcohol has already been consumed.
The body usually gives signals that too much alcohol has been ingested before poisoning occurs.
These signals include:
- nausea and vomiting
- poor reflexes
- difficulty breathing
- difficulty waking the person
- blue-tinged or pale skin
- seizures are symptoms of alcohol poisoning.
For sufferers of poisoning by alcohol, one of the things that increases risk of death is lack of immediate assistance. People see someone who's showing symptoms of poisoning and interpret them as simply being drunk instead of actual poisoning. Never assume that someone will "sleep it off" or is sleeping because he or she is tired.
How To Help
When someone dies from alcohol poisoning it's a tragedy. However, it's a tragedy that could sometimes be prevented if people knew more about the risks associated with heavy drinking, as well as what to do if they suspect someone is suffering from poisoning.
With a little more knowledge and by paying more attention, maybe some of the fifty thousand yearly US and over eight thousand UK deaths could be prevented.
Back to top of Alcohol Poisoning Disturbing Facts